In August 2007, the Sisters of St. Francis in Millvale, Pennsylvania merged with the Syracuse-based congregation.
These four congregations originated from the same Philadelphia, Pennsylvania community founded in 1855 by Sisters Mary Francis Bachmann, Mary Margaret Boll, and Bernardina Dorn. Because St. John Neumann (then Bishop of Philadelphia) guided these founders, leaders of the newly created community opted to include Neumann in the new congregation’s name.
Who We Are Today
True to our Franciscan tradition, we serve where the need is greatest and in the way that best suits those needs, adapting our ministries as the needs change. We serve in prayer ministry, education, healthcare, spiritual direction and immigration law. We minister to people challenged by poverty and homelessness, immigrants and refugees, the elderly and children.
We manage a health and legal clinic, a program for adults dealing with mental health challenges and a child day care center. We keep bees and gardens.
Large groups of our sisters live in Syracuse, New York; Williamsville, New York; Mount Vernon, New York; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Honolulu, Hawaii. Our Congregational Offices are in Syracuse.
Assistant General Minister
Rooted in the Gospel, we serve with reverence, justice and compassion.