Our sisters taking action
Following in the footprints of St. Francis of Assisi who lived his life according to the pattern of the holy Gospel, we likewise strive to follow that same way of life as we recognize Christ in our brothers and sisters. This is made visible in a variety of ways by sisters who are involved in issues that plague our society today. To facilitate our involvement, we have formed the Peace and Justice Committee.
Peace and Justice Committee
The mission of the Peace and Justice Committee of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities is to educate the community, raise awareness of social issues and guide the community into appropriate action.
For more information about peace and justice initiatives and how to get involved, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Our connection and affiliation with various organizations locally and globally brings our attention to the many needs of our society and how we as a congregation or individually can address them.
Our congregation was one of the original initiators of FAN and continues to be involved.
Take Action: The St. Francis Pledge
The Franciscan Action Network invites you to take the St. Francis Pledge to Care for Creation and the Poor. The pledge is a commitment of faith in action by caring for God’s creation and being a voice for the people who face the harshest impacts of climate change.
I/We pledge to
- PRAY and reflect on the duty to care for God’s Creation and protect the poor and vulnerable.
- LEARN about and educate others on the causes and moral dimensions of climate change.
- ASSESS how we-as individuals and in our families, parishes and other affiliations-contribute to climate change by our own energy use, consumption, waste, etc.
- ACT to change our choices and behaviors to reduce the ways we contribute to climate change.
- ADVOCATE for Catholic principles and priorities in climate change discussions and decisions, especially as they impact those who are poor and vulnerable.
In our effort towards wise stewardship of our resources we use socially responsible strategies that seek to avoid participation in harmful activities while actively pursuing good and using our role as stockholders for social stewardship. Our membership in ICCR assists us in this effort.
Socially Responsible Investing
As Franciscan women religious we are committed to exercise faithful, competent and socially responsible stewardship in the management of our financial resources. We have relied on the statement of the U.S. Bishops on socially responsible investing and also on our congregational membership in the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility to create and maintain our investment policy.
This policy is guided by two principals
- We must exercise wise stewardship over our resources.
- We must exercise ethical and socially responsible stewardship based on Gospel values.
These principals are applied
- We screen companies to invest in those that exhibit a respect for life, recognize the dignity of all persons, have just labor practices both nationally and internationally, care for the environment and promote a culture of nonviolence. We avoid investing those that exhibit a strong disregard for these values.
- We seek to influence corporations by share holder activism to improve corporate behavior consistent with this policy.
- We do social investments which support organizations and communities helping the poor.
Learn more about Franciscans International. >