Saint Marianne Cope Shrine & Museum
A primary ministry for Sister Mary Laurence Hanley was to have Marianne Cope, a Sister of St. Francis, declared a saint. Mother Marianne, as she was known to sisters in Syracuse where she served as mother superior, left Syracuse in 1883 with six other sisters. They traveled to Hawaii where for the remainder of her life, Mother Marianne cared for men, women and children with Hansen’s disease (leprosy) in Honolulu and the remote peninsula of Kalaupapa.
In October 2012, Sister Mary Laurence’s dream for Mother Marianne came true when Mother was canonized a saint by Pope Benedict XVI.
The Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities established a shrine and museum to ensure the continuation of St. Marianne’s legacy.