For more information, contact:
Hours of operation
Monday through Friday
6:30 a.m. – 5:45 p.m.
Dates the Center will be closed:
- Thanksgiving and the day after
- Christmas vacation beginning December 24 to and including January 1
- Holy Thursday – Easter Sunday
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- A full week each year in August – Date to be determined
- Labor Day
Listen to KDKA for any closings. We are here even if the schools call off. Only on rare occasions do we close.
Welcome to Mount Alvernia Day Care and Learning Center’s Parents Web Page!
We look forward to working with you to provide a safe and nurturing foundation for your child to ensure her or his spiritual, physical, social, emotional and intellectual development. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Sister Karen Krebs, Director
Things for Parents to Remember
- Parking: Please enter and exit the parking area via ENTRANCE labeled on signs: DAY CARE.
Drive slowly, ignition must be turned off and keys removed from the ignition.
NO CHILD may be left unattended in a vehicle.
NEVER park on Hawthorne Road.
Car seats for each child are Pennsylvania law!
- Please take the time to circle the St. Clare building when dropping off or picking up your child. DO NOT back into the day care driveway.
- Every child must be accompanied to and from their room by the parent or responsible adult.
- If a child will be absent or later than his/her usual arrival time, please notify the center as soon as possible.
- Each preschool/pre-k child is to have an extra set of weather appropriate clothes in a cloth bag placed on his or her hook. Infant/Toddler children have bins for extra clothes. MARK ALL CLOTHES WITH YOUR CHILD’S NAME.
- NO PLASTIC BAGS except preschoolers and school age lunches in a gallon storage bag.
- All lunch boxes, containers and clothes should have your child’s name on them.
- TENNIS SHOES AT ALL TIMES for children 12 months and older.
- Candy, gum, and toys from home are not permitted (only a small, soft toy for sleeping is allowed.)
- Parent or adult should answer the intercom. Often we cannot make out who is requesting entrance to our center. CHILDREN SHOULD NOT BE ENCOURAGED TO PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON TO EXIT THE CENTER. The button is there for their safety. We do not want them to think it is okay to press it, because they may do it when an adult’s back is turned.
- We would like to have all children’s (Toddlers included) breakfast done by 7:30 a.m. Please remember to make your child’s meal nutritious, simple to prepare and something he or she will eat.
- Mark on your check the days/weeks you are paying for with this payment. A three day minimum is required. If the center is closed on a day you usually bring your child, you are not required to pay for that day.
- We work hard to keep our center clean – PLEASE do not let your child eat while walking through the center.
- Sunscreen permission form is required for your child to go outside. Please make sure there is one on file.
- Please alert staff if someone other than the usual adult is picking up your child. We will have to call a parent if we were not informed.
- Check your child’s bin or basket daily to pick up notes, letters or art work.
- Please comply with our illness policy. Under all circumstances, children must be excluded with a fever above 101. Children may return to the center only after being illness-free for 24 hours.
- We review Payment Agreements and Emergency Contact Forms twice a year; however please notify the center immediately in case of a change of address, phone, or cell phone number.
- As part of their development, children are learning to pick up and put away toys and materials when they are finished using them. Please be patient and encouraging if your child is involved in putting things away before they leave.
- In the winter, we do go outside if the weather permits, so please have your child’s gloves, boots, etc.
- Please be considerate of families with small infant carriers. Try to leave parking spaces free near the entrance.
Thank you for your cooperation. If you have questions or suggestions, please feel free to voice them.
It is a pleasure to have your child at Mount Alvernia Day Care and Learning Center. Each one is a treasure. Thank you for entrusting your child to our care.
Sister Karen Krebs, Director
A completed Health Assessment Form and Emergency Contact Parental Consent Form is required of children entering Mount Alvernia Day Care and Learning Center.