Before they move to their new home at The Waters of Wexford, the Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities invite former teachers and students with whom they served to an open house at Mount Alvernia in Millvale from 2 until 4 p.m., Sunday, April 22. Guided tours of St. Francis Convent featuring interesting historical, cultural and artistic topics will be available. Refreshments will be served. To RSVP by April 11, please call 412.821.2200, ext. 0, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sisters of St. Francis arrived in Pittsburgh in 1865 and established St. Francis Hospital in Lawrenceville. In 1900 as their numbers continued to increase, a new convent was built atop Mount Alvernia to accommodate 350 sisters. In 2007, the sisters in Millvale merged with the Syracuse, New York based Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities. Today, 68 sisters call Mount Alvernia home. While many are retired, others continue serving in health care, education, parish and social service ministries.
The Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities is a congregation of 370 vowed women religious whose origin goes back to St. Francis of Assisi in the 13th century. Our Franciscan spirit, rooted in the Gospel, motivates us to continue God’s work and to respond to God’s people with reverence, justice and compassion. The sisters serve in 12 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Kenya and Peru.