Prayer Before the Crucifix,
St. Francis of Assisi
Most high, glorious God,
enlighten the darkness
of my heart and give me Lord,
a correct faith, a certain hope,
a perfect charity, sense and knowledge,
so that I may carry out your holy
and true command.
Introducing the Franciscan way of life
The process of hearing and responding to God’s invitation in your life is called discernment. How do you know if you are being called to become a Franciscan sister?
A loud voice will probably NOT knock you over; but here are some hints that God may be calling you:
- You have a desire to deepen your relationship with God.
- You are a practicing Catholic.
- You are drawn to the life and person of St. Francis and feel called to explore what it means to be a Franciscan.
- You can foresee yourself living, praying and serving with others in community.
- Daily prayer is important in your life.
- You want to share your talents in loving service to those who are poor and on the margins of society and so help to bring about the reign of God here on earth.
- You have a deep love of the message of the Gospel, and a desire to live it out.
- You can imagine yourself living the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience.
Responding to the message of the Gospel is the solid foundation on which to meet each day with its joys, challenges and possibilities. The choice of a vocation to religious life allows you to use your gifts and talents in the service of others along with community support and prayer.