On average, there are 129 suicides each day in the U.S. Sept. 6-8 is the National Weekend of Prayer to Prevent Suicide. The Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities invite you to join us in prayer and to take these other actions as well:
- Learn the Warning Signs of Suicide: https://suicidology.org/resources/warning-signs/
- Keep the number for the Suicide Prevention Hotline available: 800-273-8255
- More than half of U.S. suicide deaths involve guns. Advocate for gun safety action such as Red Flag Laws. Learn more about these temporary gun restriction measures here. (https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/us/red-flag-laws.html
- Contact your state and federal representatives and encourage them to support safer firearm laws and to increase funding for drug and mental health treatment.
- Sign the petition to pass the Violence Against Women Act. A reauthorization bill expands protections for victims, closes the boyfriend and stalker loopholes, and requires that law enforcement officials be notified whenever an abuser tries to buy a firearm and fails the background check. To sign, click here.
- Let your parish priest know about the Weekend to Prevent Suicide so it can be included in the homily and in the Prayers of the Faithful.